Menu-spec update (Was: [Patch] Update 'How to' to clarify computation of datadir)

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Tue Mar 21 22:52:12 EET 2006

> Yes, that is the intention and has been the intention all along. For example,
> the desktop base directory specification has been saying from the start that
> the default value for datadir during installation is /usr/share.

Sure, but 'default' suggests that its configurable, which, at least
for an ISV, it is not.

I would recommend eliminating the verbiage about /usr/local, given this;
if you're going to hard code it, hard code it.  Don't namby pamby around.

I find it shocking that what appeared to me to be a general purpose
specification, that allowed for great flexibility with reasonable defaults,
is in reality just another hard coded path.

It's certainly simpler for an ISV.  Just offends my generalist soul <grin>.

I'd also suggest revamping this page:
  http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/1.0/ar01s02.html

While it's accurate from the perspective of someone reading the menu tree,
it's misleading to someone who wishes to write a file.  You should add a note
to the bottom that, for the purpose of writing, XDG_DATA_DIRS should be
defined to be equal to /usr/share.

Cheers,

Jeremy