Menu-spec update (Was: [Patch] Update 'How to' to clarify computation of datadir)

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Wed Mar 22 07:59:35 EET 2006

On Tuesday 21 March 2006 12:02, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 13:07 -0600, Jeremy White wrote:
> > But by this change of the spec, you have essentially said
> > to me as a system distributor:
> >   XDG_DATA_DIRS *must* contain /usr/share or /usr/local/share, as that is
> > where all ISVs will write their menus.
> >
> > Is that really what you intended or is there something I don't
> > understand?
>
> Shouldn't this just match the Menu Spec's File locations section [1],
> which describes where these files go?

It does, the thing is that [1] allows several locations and ISVs don't know
which one to use. That's the problem we are trying to solve here.

> Or should we just clarify datadir
> to mean $prefix/share and sysconfdir to mean $prefix/etc, or /etc when
> $prefix is /usr?

That just moves the problem to figuring out what $prefix is supposed to be.
And if an application installs to /opt/myApp/ in accordance with LSB then it
can't use /opt/myApp as $prefix because that's unlikely to be included in
XDG_DATA_DIRS

> Should this all be done in a spec outside the Menu
> Spec? Don't "we" already do this outside the Menu Spec, in the Linux
> Standards Base Filesystem Hierarchy Standard document?

Well, the closest thing the FHS describes is where to store man-pages
(/usr/share/man)

Cheers,
Waldo