autostart spec changes

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Wed Mar 22 10:38:05 EET 2006

Am Dienstag, 21. März 2006 19:23 schrieb Waldo Bastian:
> So what is the plan here? Do we want to use XDG_DATA_DIRS/autostart instead
> of XDG_CONFIG_DIRS/autostart going forward and clean up the current
> interoperability problems caused by existing KDE entries that weren't
> expected to be picked up by Gnome?
>
> If so, what parts of X-KDE-autostart-condition, X-KDE-autostart-phase and
> immutability [$i] should be added to the autostart spec? I suggest to leave
> the X-KDE-stuff  "implementation specific" and just add some clarification
> to the spec that recommends the use of OnlyShowIn=KDE if you need to rely
> on any of these features.
>
> Personally I think XDG_CONFIG_DIRS/autostart remains a better choice and
> makes a smoother transition but I'm happy to settle on anything that offers
> common autostart functionality and that people can agree on.

Do you want to drop the support for XDG_DATA_DIRS/autostart from KDE4? I think
we should, as otherwise we get a very unclear situation where apps are
started because of /usr/share/autostart but are not disabled by an entry in
~/.config because KDE will look into ~/.kde/share/config/blarc. So I support
the XDG_CONFIG_DIRS idea, but only if KDE4 will make use only of that.

Greetings, Stephan