Exec in .desktop (was Re: Security issue with .desktop files revisited)

Vincent Untz vuntz at gnome.org
Thu Mar 30 08:11:50 EEST 2006

Le mercredi 29 mars 2006 à 15:50 +0200, Francois Gouget a écrit :
> Vincent Untz wrote:
> > On Tue, March 28, 2006 11:32, Francois Gouget wrote:
> >
> >>Not even. First KDE, at least, lets you specify multiple commands
> >>separated by semi-colon so you could drop the 'sh -c':
> >>
> >>Exec=/usr/X11R6/bin/xeyes;/usr/X11R6/bin/xeyes
> >
> > Wow. Does the spec allow this?
>
> I believe that at one time I saw something that said the content of the
> Exec line must be in the same format as for 'sh -c' or that it was
> executed using 'sh -c' or something to that effect. I'm not sure where I
> saw that and I may be confusing this with something else. The specs
> would need combing to be sure.
>
> I will also note that using '&' instead of ';' did not work. And also
> that this issue of what's allowed on the Exec line is an interesting
> point in its own right, but not particularly relevant to the issue at hand.

I know it's irrelevant to the "security" issue and that's why I changed
the subject.

My point is really what should be done about this feature: do we want to
update the spec to make it clear this is allowed or is it really
something that should not be done? GNOME doesn't support this right now.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.