desktop entry files and directories

Jaap Karssenberg j.g.karssenberg at student.utwente.nl
Tue May 2 17:06:40 EEST 2006

Hi all,

As an application developer I'm looking for a suggestions on the
following problem: my application works on directories with files (think
collections of text files) and I need a way to open these directories
using my application from the file manager. Some file managers use the
inode/directory mimetype for this but the use not transparent and does
not completely solve my problem. The reason this does not work
completely is that my application can open _certain_ directories, but
not all directories. Ultimately what I might be looking for is a
mechanism to have types of directories, just like mimetypes define types
of files, but that may be to much to ask within the current body of
specifications.

As an alternative I'm looking into using desktop entry files, or a
similar format, as placeholders for the directories (I could add my
application config for the dir as an extension). There is a "Directory"
type desktop file but the specification doesn't say anything about it's
usage; also the spec doesn't give a field to give a location for the
directory type, I assume that it always refers to it's current
directory. Could anybody enlighten me on the usage of this type of
desktop entry ? Also how would a "Directory" type desktop file be opened
if you click it ?

Also any other suggestions to solve my problem in an elegant and
compatible way would be much appreciated :)

Thanks,

-- Jaap Karsseberg <pardus at cpan.org>