Hello + sound event architecture

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Nov 12 17:54:40 EET 2006

On Sunday 12 November 2006 00:52, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to the list and would like to introduce myself. My name is
> Patryk Zawadzki and I am one of the PLD Linux developers.
>
> This said, I'd like to ask a question (hope this was not discussed here
> like two days ago as my internet connection is faulty and I am unable to
> search through the mailing list archives).

There have been several threads about notification handling.
Almost everybody agrees on doing this with a session daemon, however things
like configuration (central vs. application specific) are usually debated
with very little progress.

> We do have a working specification for icon themes so why not just adapt
> a similar specification for sound events?

I'd say sound themes and notifications are orthogonal things. Sound is just
one presentation form of a notification.
Depending on the actual notification architecture, users might have explicit
configuration for certain sounds, not just generic names.

> The idea is to create a robust sound event handling system based on DBUS
> that would allow an application to tell the daemon to "play
> gaim-user-online with priority of notification," let the daemon handle
> the event and let the app forget about it completely.

So such a D-Bus service would then be used by the nofitication daemon(s) when
the event configuration indicates a representation including a sound?

> To me such a daemon specification and a "sound theme" specification
> would be a great start for even futher integration between various
> desktop environments and between apps and their desktops as well.

Well, I can see a definite value in a sound theme specification, however I'd
rather have the notifcation daemons or, in the event of a shared
implementation the notification daemon, do the sounds playing directly
instead of further delegating it.

I'd recommend concentrating on the sound theme specification. Just like the
icon theme spec it will already be useful without a shared

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring