Hello + sound event architecture

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Sun Nov 12 21:30:21 EET 2006

Dnia 12-11-2006, nie o godzinie 20:08 +0100, Kevin Krammer napisał(a):
> On Sunday 12 November 2006 18:11, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:

Ok, I need more coffee to soundmore clear. I agree that the notification
service should act as both visual and audible notification dispatcher.
This should be no doubt a single service and it should take care of both
sound and popups.

I was just wondering if some applications could benefit from a pure
sound API. Now that I think of it, a single implementation should be
enough.

I'm not sure about knotify (being a GNOME user) but galago notification
daemon has a freedesktop specification that allows both popups and
sounds:

http://galago-project.org/specs/notification/index.php

> > See attachment for a draft.
>
> I'll leave the details to  the people with icon theme spec experience, but
> shouldn't it be $XDG_DATA_HOME/sounds instead of $HOME/.sounds?

It's based on the icon theme so all paths remained intact. At least they
should (that might be my typo as well). Would love to see more comments
or a guide how to make this draft a specification.

--
Patryk Zawadzki <patrys at pld-linux.org>
PLD Linux