simple search api (was Re: mimetype standardisation by testsets)

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 23:49:44 EET 2006

Jos: CC'ing xdg, hope it's ok. I only follow up on the lib vs daemon part
for now...

2006/11/19, Jos van den Oever <jvdoever at gmail.com>:

> 2006/11/19, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com>:
> >  Great work. I like your dbus api docs!
> Thanks!
>
> > I must admit that I'm very keen on getting a daemonless spec. There's
> > already atleast one daemon running for search purposes, and having
> another
> > on top of that seems overkill.
> I did take pains to write a daemon in C. This means it's very light.
>
> > I'd rather create library for finding search engines. This will require
> some
> > runtime negotiation but I don't think it will be a significant impact. I
> > have some rough ideas about a dbus api for this, I'll try and put it
> > together...
> In a library, how do you know which search daemons are running? You'd
> have to know where they are. With the searchmanager, there is always
> an up-to-date list because the managers register there. Even a new
> manager adhering to the interface would register and so it would be
> known.

In a stateless lib you don't have to do any bookkeeping, the list of
providers would be created when the app asks for it. Here's a short sketch
of how I figure the workflow:

App: calls lib.getSearchProvider (interface_name)
lib: emit a SearchProvidersSpeakUp(iface_name) signal over dbus
SearchProvider: return its object path to the lib
lib: select a provider from the candidates if there's more than one
lib: return candidates object_path
App: dbus connect to iface, object_path

Does this make sense? What I really wanna do is push as much book keeping to
dbus itself, since it already does a great deal of what we actually need...

Cheers,
Mikkel

About org.freedesktop.search.simple: