extended attribute standardization

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Nov 20 14:44:24 EET 2006

On Monday 20 November 2006 02:54, Bastian, Waldo wrote:

> >Freedesktop hosts a page called Standards/shared-filemetadata-spec
> >which defines datatypes, where one type is "Array of String (comma
> >delimited list of strings)". As far as I understand it, this spec
> >mainly deals with metadata that is indexed in external systems, but it
> >makes sense to borrow from this spec for example the datatypes. Some
> >escape mechanism should probably be added to deal with strings that
> >includes commas.
> >
> >I also noted that the desktop entry spec sometimes refers to lists,
> >but does not always  define the separator. For example for the keys
> >OnlyShowIn, NotShowIn, FilePattern.
>
> The default separator is semi-colon as described in the desktop entry
> section on "Possible value types":
>
> "Some keys can have multiple values. In such a case, the value of the
> key is specified as a plural: for example, string(s). The multiple
> values should be separated by a semicolon. Those keys which have several
> values should have a semicolon as the trailing character. Semicolons in
> these values need to be escaped using \;. "

In the case of stored or extracted metadata it has to be considered, that MIME
types can contain semicolons, for example "text/plain;charset=utf8"
Of course there could be a rule that this has to parsed into two metadata
entries, one for the base MIME type and one for the encoding prior to
storing/returning them

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring