simple search api (was Re: mimetype standardisation by testsets)

James "Doc" Livingston doclivingston at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 12:20:03 EET 2006

On Sat, 2006-11-25 at 21:49 +0100, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> An example of client side grouping could be a music application, where
> searching for "foo fighters" would add "mime:audio/*" to the query
> before sending it. As I said I'm not for client side grouping, a
> server side grouping could still facilitate a client side grouping
> anyway.

This is actually the perfect example of why using mime-types for this
won't actually work: the mime types for Ogg Vorbis files and M4A files
are application/ogg and video/quicktime respectively, which are also the
mime types of video files in the same containers. Because of this,
simply filtering on "mime:audio/*" won't work.

Correctly determining which category it falls in requires looking inside
the container, which the indexer would presumably do. So I think that
having "groups" (or whatever they get called) as part of the spec,
rather than a client-side thing, would be important.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that
would also stop you from doing clever things.