simple search api (was Re: mimetype standardisation by testsets)

Jos van den Oever jvdoever at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 18:00:52 EET 2006

2006/11/26, Jean-Francois Dockes <jean-francois.dockes at wanadoo.fr>:
>  1- A need for trivial enabling of text search in any (non-search)
>     application, with minimal fuss, (better described by Fabrice in the
>     quoted message).

For this, we also need a way to search in documents that have not been
indexed. Indexes can take up a lot of space and the user might not
want to have an index of all her data, but still want to search that
data now and then.

Since searching in this way is a lot slower, there would need to be a
more asynchroneous method of reporting the search results.

Also, what to do if the user searches for a property that has not been
indexed? E.g. suppose no titles have been indexed. This would mean
that the search engine should fall back to scanning the files.

Cheers,
Jos