simple search api (was Re: mimetype standardisation by testsets)

Joe Shaw joeshaw at novell.com
Mon Nov 27 21:40:18 EET 2006

Hi,

On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 21:39 +0100, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> Given that it would be part of the search language it cannot be ruled
> out of the simple api, unless we restrict the simple api to only
> support a subset of the query language (which I don't think is a good
> idea).

This assumes a consistent query language among all of the indexing
services, which I don't think is very realistic.  For example, each one
will have its own analyzer (and this may vary from language to
language).  I would much prefer to see the interface be described in
terms of both search terms and additional restrictions (be it file type,
etc.).  You probably wouldn't add a "maxhits:50" string to the query
language, there's no reason to mandate "type:audio/*".

Joe