simple search api (was Re: mimetype standardisation by testsets)

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 08:22:02 EET 2006

2006/11/27, Joe Shaw <joeshaw at novell.com>:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 20:39 +0100, Jos van den Oever wrote:
> > I'm fine with an additional query function. I avoided this in the
> > first place because the return message would become rather big. How
> > about:
> >
> >   method queryDetailed ( in s query, in i offset, in i limit , out
> > a(sa(sas)) hits )
> >   Perform a query and return a list of URIs that match the query.
> >   Input:
> >   query
> >      The query being performed.
> >   offset
> >      The offset in the result list for the first returned result.
> >   limit
> >      The maximum number of results that should be returned.
> >
> >   Output:
> >   hits
> >      A list if URIs with properties that are the result of the query.
>
> Seems reasonable.

Wouldn't returning the full metadata (except snippets) for every single hit
be a costly affair? Maybe we need a parameter for which fields to return.

> How about adding the matching text fragment? This should also be a
> > a(sas) because the hits may occur in different fields.
>
> We use a separate API for text fragments in Beagle because extracting
> them is extremely slow.  I would recommend against it in the query API.

If the queryDetailed method took a list of metadata fields as input
"snippet" could be one of them. I still think we should have a separate
method for it though.

Cheers,
Mikkel