simple search api (was Re: mimetype standardisation by testsets)

Jos van den Oever jvdoever at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 09:07:28 EET 2006

2006/11/28, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com>:
> 2006/11/27, Joe Shaw <joeshaw at novell.com>:
> > Hi,

> those
> > >
> > > Yes, my point was defining a request that returns the results in
> > > packets instead of only one reply. This has the advantage the the gui
> > > can show results pretty quickly even if the query is slow.
> >
> > In Beagle, all searches are inherently asynchronous.  The client sends a
> > query request, and a variety of signals are sent back.  HitsAdded,
> > HitsSubtracted, and Finished are the main ones.  As long as the
> > connection to the daemon stays open, events can keep being sent to the
> > client.  Hence, live queries.
> >
> > I would suggest a similar setup using unique D-Bus object paths for a
> > standardized API.  (A synchronous API will be pretty darn slow for large
> > queries, I'm afraid.)
>
> I think everybody wants that (atleast I do). However the idea about
> org.freedesktop.search.simple was to have a *simple* interface. Here the
> simple only applies to the end user-app developers.
>
>  1) Targetted at apps where searching is not the main functionality, fx. a
> music browser, or filemanager.
>  2) There should be no query building on the application end. Just pass the
> string as entered by the user to quuery method.
>  3) Should be dead easy to drop in your app with only a few lines of code
>
> The plan was that when we had a simple interface we would move on and define
> a more advanced one for people with the need for this.
>
> The problem is that 2) warrents a simple search language to be defined to
> make much sense... 3) is a bit against the nature of your suggestion.
>
> A signal driven query response is dead easy to work with when you Query
> object is a gobject, but when it is a dbus object matters get (a little)
> more tricky. I'm not totally against this idea (signal driven query
> response), but I can't see how we could KIS.

You dont have to define the object in the API. Also having an object
is independent of the language. It simply means you have something
with a name on the receiving end. E.g.
org.freedesktop.search.livequeries/query1. You just define the
interface methods. I'll give it a quick shot, but agree with you that
the async API should not go into the simple interface.

> Do you have any specific idea for a dbus interface?
In the search API:
method query(in s query, out s queryid)
In the livequery API:
  signal moreHits(in hit a(sa(sas)))