PATCHES: Desktop Entry Spec 1.0 - Take 3

Vincent Untz vuntz at gnome.org
Thu Oct 12 01:57:03 EEST 2006

Le mercredi 11 octobre 2006, à 11:39, Bastian, Waldo a écrit :

> deprecated,
> regexp-2.diff
> >
> >I can't remember regexp-2.diff right now. If we specify in the part
> >where we describe FilePattern that it was a list of strings, where each
> >string is a POSIX regexp, then I'm fine with the removal of the type.
>
> FilePattern is deprecated, but I don't mind updating its description if
> you think it's important.

It's useless to list deprecated keys if we don't explain how they (used
to) work.

> >I believe that:
> > + we need to keep a version key
> > + as long as we stay compatible with previous releases of the spec,
> >   we use 1.x.y or 1.x, and we increment major when we break the
> >   compatibility
> >
> >Do we need a micro version? I don't know. I believe it could be useful
> >to have it for typo fixes, or editorial fixes (when we don't add a new
> >feature, eg). That's why I'd go with x.y.z.
>
> We don't need a micro version because non-sustantial fixes in the
> specification like typos or editorial clearifications do not have a
> semantic impact and as such there is no need to differentiate between
> the two spec versions in the .dsktop file.

It came to my mind after sending my mail that what I wanted was x.y.z
for the spec versioning, but indeed, x.y is enough for the value of the
key. We still need to explain that changing x means "incompatible
changes" in the spec :-)

Cheers,

Vincent

--