Icon / mime association..

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Mon Oct 16 21:19:13 EEST 2006

>Back to the XGDUtils.
>
>Everything works fine as long as I'm installing (with XDG script) them
with
>'--mode user' but not '--mode system', also if I sudo them, then the
>*.desktop file does not carry the proper icon and the assocations do
not
>work. I've tried this on Ubuntu only. Is this correct behaviour? What
is
>the '--mode system' for?

--mode user installs under $HOME, while --mode system installs under
/usr
You can leave it out and then it will use one or the other depending on
whether you are root or not. Typically only root can use --mode system
anyway.

If it works fine with --mode user, it should work just as fine with sudo
and --mode system. The only thing I can think of is that part of the GTK
icon cache may be outdated and is still pointing to the icon in a
previous location. With older gnome versions it may also help to restart
nautilus.

Cheers,
Waldo