a standard for the user's default terminal

Jaap Karssenberg j.g.karssenberg at student.utwente.nl
Mon Oct 23 21:46:26 EEST 2006

Kevin Krammer wrote:
... 8< ...
> If somebody can find a way to GNOME and XFCE I'll write the xdg-utils wrapper
> script

Looking at an RC for xfce 4.4 here.

Xfce has a directory called "share/xfce4/helpers/" which contains
desktop entry files for commonly used terminals, browsers and email
apps. These entries contain extra keys like X-XFCE-Category=WebBrowser
or X-XFCE-Category=TerminalEmulator .

Then there is a file called ".config/xfce4/helpers.rc" which in my case
looks like:

	WebBrowser=firefox
	MailReader=thunderbird

So I assume the categories are used to generate a list with applications
for the "Preferred Applications" setting dialog where you can configure
these apps and the helpers.rc file just names the desktop entries to use.

Must say that this looks like a very good use of desktop entry files to
me. Very simple and elegant.

I'm just an Xfce user, not a developer.

-- Jaap <pardus at cpan.org>