Use interoperable URIs [was: Re: Help System Spec]

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Tue Oct 31 22:31:30 EET 2006

On Tuesday 31 October 2006 16:51, Don Scorgie wrote:
[...]

> Hopefully, this won't disappear into the ether and instead something
> will come of it.  Any feedback and comments much appreciated.

The specification use URI schemes(it doesn't define what they mean or should
be treated, so in either case it needs to be rewritten) that aren't valid,
which in my opinion is a no go.

For example, the "help" scheme is not registered, and there's nothing that
prevents me from writing a spec after I've finished this mail that
defines "help" in another way. For a discussion of this problem,
see(especially the comments are useful):

	http://englich.wordpress.com/2006/10/13/kdes-uris/

I see here an opportunity to break KDE's trend of using proprietary schemes. I
think this is especially important in this case since it is the intention of
the help system to be interoperable.

I think fixing this is easy. Since it's not required that the URIs must be
exposed to users, they can read in anyway.

Cheers,

		Frans