OSDL DTL Tech Board: Fonts & Linux (Thu, Aug 31)

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Sep 3 09:07:59 EEST 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 22:18 -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> In the GNOME font chooser dialog all 16 of the fonts I listed with the
> family name "Helvetica" are listed under "Helvetica" the "Family"
> window.  So, there are 16 selections available in the: "Style" window
> and they are NOT sorted into any logical order:

        Condensed Light
        Light
        Condensed Light Oblique
        Light Oblique
        Condensed Medium
        Regular
        Narrow
        Condensed Oblique
        Oblique
        Narrow Oblique
        Condensed Bold
        Bold
        Condensed Bold Oblique
        Narrow Bold Oblique
        Bold Oblique

Fortunately, fontconfig provides enough information to sort these
sensibly; it breaks out weight/slant information into separate fields
and also provides (as of today) a way to detect "decorative" faces
(shadowed, outlined, etc). What has been fixed is the insistance that
fonts only have two kind of variation (bold/regular, italic/roman), what
remains to be done is to present the available information sensibly. Ask
me for the information you need, but don't ask me how to present it to
the user...

keith.packard at intel.com