PATCH: Menu Spec - Categories

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Sep 8 20:47:17 EEST 2006

On Thursday 07 September 2006 21:49, William Jon McCann wrote:
> That said, it seems to me that your changes are worthwhile.  So, what
> should we do?  Are you trying to explicitly forbid this type of usage?  Or
> can we interpret this, as written, as a strong recommendation but not a
> requirement?  Can we promote Screensaver to a main category similar to
> Settings?

William contacted me yesterday about screensavers as well with the hope that
both GNOME and KDE can share some implementations which i agree would be very
nice and make a lot of sense. =)

that said, i recently moved the screensaver.desktop files out of applnk/,
which was something like applications/ before that existed. we have removed
support for applnk/ in KDE4 so i had to do something with the screensavers,
so i moved them to services/ which is where we put all of our
non-application, defined-by-.desktop-file components.

this keeps applications/ clean and clear in purpose and is a natural place for
screensavers in KDE. putting them in applications/ which is really more
geared towards creating application menus and launchers doesn't feel like a
clean design.

in any case, we don't really have anything defined for screensavers across
desktops.

i see three possibilities here:

1) put screensaver files in applications/
	pros: both desktops already have code for finding entries in applications/
	cons: i'd have to change how KDE is finding screensavers, though that's not a
huge amount of work. it does "pollute" applications/, making it a sort of
dumping ground for all things .desktop. given that the screensaver .desktop
files have categories that are actually pretty generic like "OpenGL" i'd be
concerned about possible minor annoyances in setting up menus with rules such
as "OpenGL, but not Screensaver"
2) put screensavers somewhere else altogether by themselves, e.g. in
screensavers/
	pros: keeps the purpose and usage of applications/ clear
	cons: means altering screensaver loading code on both desktops. for kde this
wouldn't be a big issue but still more work, similar to option #1 (i can't
speak for gnome, but i assume it would be similarly easy?). it also means
adding yet another directory somewhere which would need to be standardized.
3) make services/ a standard location where desktops apps can expect
components, such as screensavers, to be
	pros: would keep applications/ clear, provide a precedent for future sharing
of other similar types of services that might also exist there
	cons: would mean adding support for loading .desktop files from services/ to
GNOME as well as standardizing anything unique about the .desktop files in
services/, for example probably the ServiceTypes= key

i really don't like option #2 much, prefer option #3, but can understand
William's leaning towards #1 given that that is how GNOME is doing it.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Undulate Your Wantonness