org.freedesktop.SessionManagement

Dan Winship danw at gnome.org
Tue Apr 3 09:00:57 PDT 2007

Richard Hughes wrote:
>> The name SessionManagement here seems to imply trying to comprehensively
>> offer a non-ICE way to talk to the session manager (which would be very
>> nice, I have to say), so it seems like a fairly comprehensive
>> thinking-through of this interface as a complete way to deal with the SM
>> would be needed?
>
> Sure, I was posting initially to see if I was smoking crack (i.e. making
> the problem more complex that it is).
>
> DanW, how does this compare (overlap!) with EggSMClient?

We don't need this for 1.0 do we?

Anyway, beyond logout/shutdown/reboot request, we'd need:

(1) client registration/tracking, including the ability for the server
to notice immediately when a client exits, at least for some clients (so
we can restart the panel, file manager, etc, if they crash).

(2) logout notification/cancellation, which requires the SM to be able
to address individual clients (so it can tell them to interact one at a
time). So does that mean we need an interface for clients to implement,
in addition to the o.f.SM interface for the server?

(3) state saving. (Havoc will probably say we don't want this, but I
don't think there's a consensus around that, especially at the fdo
level). The way XSMP does this is really messy and doesn't integrate
completely cleanly with autostart, so ideally we'd do something better
than a straight dbusification of the XSMP API. I'm playing around with
this in new-gnome-session and will hopefully have some better ideas soon.

-- Dan