Icon name; task-passed-due

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Aug 2 10:34:17 PDT 2007

Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 11:34 -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> I think that proper US English would be "past due"
>>
>> Yes, the work 'passed' exists but it has a different use.  Normally used
>> to indicate that a physical object has been passed: I passed the ball; I
>> passed the car.  But, an account is: 'past due'.  This might be
>> different in British English.
>
> Or, the time when a task is due, has passed.
>
>> And since "past due" is a single token, this should be:
>>
>> 	task-past_due
>
> There is nothing in the spec requiring single tokens to be
> separated with the _ character. It is only stated as one of
> the allowed characters.

Correct.  The issue is that the spec says:

The dash "-" character is used to separate levels of specificity in icon
names, for all contexts other than MimeTypes.

Does that mean that that is the *only* use of the dash.  I think that it
should be, and that is the way that I read it -- if there is a dash in a
non-MimeType name, then it indicates a separation of levels  of specificity.

--
JRT