A directory for color profiles

Sven Neumann sven at gimp.org
Tue Dec 11 09:19:50 PST 2007

Hi,

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 09:45 -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> Having subdirectories that are searched recursively will make all ICC
> profiles on the system available to all apps, but it doesn't solve the
> problem of multiple copies being installed.  It appears to me that as we
> have more XDG standards that this problem is going to keep growing.  I
> don't know if package managers have a way to deal with this issue either.

Simple. Instead of having the applications install color profiles, there
should be one or more packages that serve no other purpose but to
install a set of standard color profiles. The applications can then
depend on this package, or at least recommend that it is installed. That
solves many issues and it moves the burden of maintaining a set of
profiles from many application developers to a single place.

If an application really needs to install application-specific profiles
besides the set of profiles that are considered standard, then they can
do that into an application specific subdirectory.

Sven