smooth transitions between menus ? (extend XEmbed ?)

Mildred ml.mildred593 at online.fr
Sat Dec 22 18:03:24 PST 2007

Hi,

Currently, I notice a "problem" in the gnome-panel (and I believe it's
the same for others desktops as well). When I click in a menu item in
the panel, a menu opens, when I place my mouse on another menu item,
the other menu pops up. But when I put my mouse on a menu item in
another plugin, the menu doesn't show up.

You can test it by placing two menubars in your GNOME-panel, or placing
a menubar along with the window selector icon (which is supposed to be
a menu) or by testing a global menubar like the one you can find on Mac
OS X (See <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=241868>)

I believe this is the same for KDE but I cannot test it now, so tell me
if I'm wrong.

So I think this may be the responsibility of the XEmbed
<http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/xembed-spec> spec to
improve this by allowing to communicate the menu status (opened or not)
to let the embeded window to open a menu on mouseover and tell the
embedding window that it has to close its menu.

But I don't really know the X11 protocol not I ever programmed
low-level GUIs, so i don't really know if I'm right here or not.

I already wrote something about this issue on the gnome mailing list:
<http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-list/2007-December/msg00023.html>

Can someone who knows a little more tell me what s/he thinks ? If it is
possible to do that (and willing to since I have no experience in this
domain).

Thanks.

Mildred

--
Mildred Ki'lya
E-Mail:	mildred593(at)online.fr

Site:	<http://mildred632.free.fr/>
XMPP:	<mildred at jabber.fr> (GoogleTalk, Jabber)

GPG:	197C A7E6 645B 4299 6D37 684B 6F9D A8D6 [9A7D 2E2B]