Icon naming spec suggestions - mimetypes

Rodney Dawes dobey.pwns at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 14:29:26 PST 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 23:14 +0100, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> On Friday, 28. December 2007, Jan Claeys wrote:
> > Op woensdag 26-12-2007 om 01:02 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Jakob
> > Petsovits:
> > > application-x-zerosize
> > > The icon used for empty files.
> >
> > Why do those need a different icon?
>
> Well, I wouldn't consider any other mimetype icon to be appropriate for empty
> files. Imagine a file manager that displays the text-x-generic icon for an
> empty file - this indicates that the file has contents, which is misleading.
>
> Are there any examples of file managers (or file listings, like in the
> file-open dialog) that do not use a separate icon for empty files?

So then again, how is that different from unknown? If there is no
content, how can you determine the type of content? Generally file
managers guess the content type from the extension after looking
at the content. If the file extension is .txt, it is acceptable to
presume that the user wishes to insert text into the file, I think.

-- dobey