shared wasabi implementation

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 13:35:06 PST 2007

2007/2/15, Joe Shaw <joeshaw at novell.com>:

> Hi,
>
> Jos van den Oever wrote:
> > Shouldnt we start sharing parts of the code required to implement
> > wasabi? I'm mainly thinking about a struct in c representing a parsed
> > wasabi query and functions to de- and serialize these from either the
> > xml or the user language.
> >
> > This should be no more than a couple of files that we can put in an
> > xsd svn. Requirements to make it palletable for most: few deps and
> > written in c. For C++ fans we can add a small wrapper.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> Definitely.  For the spec to be useful (particularly the query language
> part) we need either a reference implementation or a conformance test
> (preferably both).

Agreed. I have been thinking about doing something in Python, but held back
a little to anticipate where a hand was needed (fx. glib bindings). However
several people have already showed interest in glib bindings so I figure I
can do something else (sorry qt guys - you qouldn't like my c++ :-D).

What requirements would a reference implementation have? I'm thinking
something like 30-50 files with a priori known metadata hardcoded into an
"index" and small wasabi-compliant "search engine" that searches this index.
To go with the bundle there could be a collection of queries with matching
results. Given this it would be trivial to write a Python script that did a
conformance test (on a search engine that had indexed the given files - and
only them).

Cheers,
Mikkel