shared wasabi implementation

jamie jamiemcc at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Feb 16 03:43:40 PST 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 12:14 +0800, Fabrice Colin wrote:
> On 2/16/07, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Do you have any plans for a standard way of installing new filters? Wasabi
> > could use this (as has also been mentioned on Gnomes desktop-devel-list).
> >
> For external filters, I have shamelessly borrowed Beagle's external-filters.xml
> with some modifications. Built-in filters register what MIME types they support
> when the corresponding dynamic library is loaded.

we (tracker) would only allow use out of process stuff here - our robust
and stable architecture performs all metadata extraction out of process
to prevent crashes and memory leaks caused by bad data files (or buggy
libs) - this also has the advantage of any extractor can be written in
any language.

Our usage would be along the lines of an app printing to stdout the
extracted metadata in standard rdf xml format.

> IIUC other people have been talking about using .desktop files to
> register filters.

yes thats me!

Our requirements (because we are a metadata database as well as an
indexer) are probably much different to the others (EG we would need the
new metadata names along with their types and properties).

we want desktop files over xml specifically for il8n translations of
metadata names (I assume the existing mechanisms for this are easier
with desktop files)

We would also use these to register new services to be indexed (EG like
Tomboy Notes and they would specify a directory to be watched and an app
name to use to index them)

jamie.