[Wasabi Proposal] End user search language

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Fri Feb 16 14:28:01 PST 2007

On Wed, 2007-14-02 at 14:29 +0100, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
[...]
> Also, I must say that I've got cold feet with regards to let OR have
> precedence over AND. Is it not safe to assume that people that use
> logical operators (which I'm willing to bet is a minority) knows that
> AND usually takes precedence over OR?
No, not safe.

The most effective interpretation of (a AND b) I have seen is to use
quorum ranking -- first list things containing both, then list
things containing either, and for (a AND b AND c) sort results
by the number of terms matched.  And this is what some of the
Web search engines do, too.

There's no good answer, though, I think.  You have to do user testing.

Liam