Standardized keyboard shortcut to paste PRIMARY?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Feb 18 10:36:55 PST 2007

Laurence Darby wrote:
>> Because PRIMARY is a mouse-only thing. You set it with the mouse and
>> you paste it with the mouse too.
>
>Selecting text with the keyboard sets PRIMARY, and Shift-insert will
>paste it, but only in non GTK/QT apps.  So saying PRIMARY is a mouse
>only thing is just plain wrong.

Current best practice is that just selecting text with the keyboard should
not set PRIMARY or CLIPBOARD.

It sounds reasonable to me. You indicate that you're finished selecting by
hitting a well-known shortcut (Ctrl+C). That sets CLIPBOARD. Some
applications set PRIMARY too.

If you were selecting with the mouse, you indicate that you're finished by
releasing the mouse button. That would set PRIMARY.

In any case, I wouldn't be opposed to allocating a 3-key shortcut like
Ctrl+Shift+Insert to pasting PRIMARY. Konsole already does that. We don't
have many 2-key shortcuts available to applications, so I wouldn't
recommend taking any of them. Besides, Shift+Insert is already taken.

I just think you won't get much traction to do that because there isn't
much interest in handling PRIMARY. It is very erratically handled (some
applications set it without user action, for instance, something that I
consider buggy behaviour).

PS: you don't have to shout.
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358