[Wasabi] Kicking of the Metadata spec - brainstorm

Joe Shaw joeshaw at novell.com
Tue Feb 20 10:25:31 PST 2007

Hi,

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 23:35 +0100, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
>  ** What we need:
>
>   Fields)  Metadata field names and descriptions for *desktop*
> objects
>
>   Types) A type grouping of metadata fields to be used in user search
> language. Example types could be "Email", "Image", "Audio", etc.
>
>   API) A dbus api to get/set metadata
>
>   ?Tag/Emblem) Tagging/Keywords/Emblems

Taking a step back here.  What exactly are we looking to define?  Just a
set of fields and types that end users can use to narrow down search?
"Metadata" is such a huge space here that I think we need to know what
we're supposed to be covering here.

If we go down the "search-only" path, I don't think we should be
defining APIs for getting and setting metadata.  While metadata and
desktop search are related and complimentary, they're not the same thing
and I don't think that a desktop search system necessarily should also
be a metadata store.

As for tags, I agree, there's nothing special about them.  They should
just be a string array.

Joe