well-known user folders, a proposal

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Thu Feb 22 04:56:50 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 13:30 +0100, Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > I'd like some feedback from the various desktop projects. Do you think
> > this is an important area to standardize? Does my approach make sense?
> > Is my code full of holes?
>
> I think it's necessary to standardize on this and on first sight your
> proposed solution makes sense. However, to avoid trouble, I'd strongly
> suggest to allow only UTF-8 filename encoding. I'd also suggest to use
> PICTURES instead of PHOTOS.

I dunno. People still use non-utf8 filenames. I agree that by default it
has to be utf8, and all translations and default config files should be
in utf8. But I see no harm in allowing you to specify some other
encoding, then we'd just convert to that before creating the directory.

PICTURES is ok with me too.

> On thing left however: How does an application determine the icon that
> should be used to represent the special user folder?

I'm not sure we should standardize this. People might not handle it in
the same way. For instance, in Gnome it might be handled by adding an
emblem instead of using a particular icon. Desktops not using emblems
couldn't do that. Can't we leave this to implementations? (As in, it
doesn't really affect interoperability much.)

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a world-famous moralistic senator haunted by memories of 'Nam. She's a
mentally unstable streetsmart wrestler trying to make a difference in a man's
world. They fight crime!