well-known user folders, a proposal

Stanislav Brabec sbrabec at suse.cz
Thu Feb 22 08:35:03 PST 2007

Alexander Larsson píše v Čt 22. 02. 2007 v 15:42 +0100:
> On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 15:04 +0100, Stanislav Brabec wrote:

> The code special cases ~/Desktop for backwards compat.

It means that GNOME file manager will still require hack to translate it.

> How do you upgrade this file for all users when translations change?

Update desktop file in the overlay directory.

Your proposal does not handle it better. The translation of "Pictures"
will apply only for new users and will never change for existing users
(until they use --force).

> This won't work for third party applications.

Why? Third party application can check, which desktop file defines
support for intended MIME type and use this directory as fallback.

Third party can even dynamically add directories.

MIME searching code is already part of gtk-update-desktop-database, this
could be a pure recycling of it:
image/jpeg=Pictures.desktop

> This won't work in a terminal.

No. This won't. But DnD can work.

> This doesn't let you change the location of the directories.

It lets - move the overlay desktop file should do it.

> I've noted that you are against translations-on-disk

My suggestion allows translations-on-disk by using locale-specific
overlay directories.

Imagine it like a sort of /etc/skel, where overlay is done dynamically
in API applications.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SUSE LINUX, s. r. o.                          e-mail: sbrabec at suse.cz
Lihovarská 1060/12                            tel: +420 284 028 966
190 00 Praha 9                                fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic                                http://www.suse.cz/