well-known user folders, a proposal

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Thu Feb 22 23:52:53 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 12:05 -0800, Octavio Alvarez wrote:
> > Also, env vars can't ever change after login.
>
> Why would you need that? I don't imagine a distro upgrade spitting some
> directory changes in my face during a critical session (at least not
> without my permission).

You might want to change it yourself, even if its not done
automatically. i.e. I can imagine a "make this the default location for
photos" menu item in a file manager.

> Sure I would like not to need relogging in just to fix a directory name,
> but I should also be able to send a signal to the apps to reload its
> values.

env vars are generally global and static and can't be changed in all
apps after they've been set in the initial login process. They just
don't work well for dynamic settings.

Anyway, I very much dislike clogging up the environment with lots of
unnecessary settings.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a scarfaced bohemian Green Beret for the 21st century. She's a
hard-bitten insomniac pearl diver who dreams of becoming Elvis. They fight
crime!