well-known user folders, a proposal

Benedikt Meurer benny at xfce.org
Fri Feb 23 02:43:03 PST 2007

Alexander Larsson wrote:
>>> Yes, filenames have to be converted to utf8 to be displayed. But many
>>> people still use non-utf8 filenames, so apps/libs have code to convert
>>> from the specified filename encoding (for instance G_FILENAME_ENCODING
>>> in gtk+) to utf8. If we create utf8 filenames in a system using some
>>> other filename encoding these will not display correctly (said
>>> conversion will fail). How is this good?
>> IIRC, g_filename_display_name() will accept UTF-8 even with non unicode
>> filename encoding, so that should definitely work.
>
> In the case where the utf8 string wasn't accidentally allowed as the
> filename encoding (likely to happen for e.g. iso-8859-1) and wrongly
> converted we would try to do the best by trying utf8 yes. But this is
> hardly ideal. For instance, if we go the other way, the user typing a
> filename in an entry, and then converting to a filename you won't be
> able to type in the utf8-forced filenames (without some form of
> escaping).
>
> And that is in a modern gtk+ ui. Maybe they are using locale encoded
> filenames so that their filenames display correctly in the terminal or
> in some legacy app. These won't ever display the utf8 well.
>
> I don't get why you dislike following the user specified encoding. Some
> people choose to use a non-utf8 filename encoding, for whatever reason.
> We just have to follow that. Sure, ideally we'd like everyone to use
> utf8, and we can default to it, but we can't just claim everyone does
> already and screw them over.

I was under the impression that forcing UTF-8 here would make things
easier, but I guess you're right. Following the user's encoding is
probably the best idea as otherwise the folder names will not display
properly in terminals.

>> Putting this into the icon naming spec sounds like a good idea, but it's
>> nevertheless relevant for this spec (point to icon naming spec and
>> suggest to use the appropriate icons).
>
> I'm fine with the icon naming spec recommending icons for these.
> Although its likely that gnome won't be using them, because we'll
> probably be using emblems instead. However, if emblems are standardized
> we could standardize the emblem names too.

Maybe use "user-desktop", "user-pictures", etc. for the icon names and
use the same names for the emblems.

Benedikt