Thumbnail Management Spec needs revision (Was Re: A Standard for Thumbnailers)

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Tue Jan 9 00:11:29 PST 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 21:08 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Speaking about thumbnails, I was thinking the other day that the
> thumbnail spec probably needs revision before it's ready for 1.0.
>
> The problem is with encrypted volumes; we really don't want to store
> plain-text thumbnails originating from files on encrypted thumb drives.
> We should probably sort this soon out as a number of Linux-based OS'es
> support e.g. LUKS as seen here
>
>  http://blog.fubar.dk/?p=64
>
> that makes it very easy to use encrypted volumes on e.g. USB drives. The
> right thing to do is probably to store the thumbnails per mount as we do
> with trash-spec. Something to keep in mind.

Its very easy to say "per volume", but its a lot harder to implement, as
is clear for the trash spec and from anyone trying to implement
per-volume objects. per volume dirs have sharing and permission issues,
not to mention the hell that you have to go through to map from a
pathname to the volume its on (considering things like symlinks, bind
mounts, etc).

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a scrappy Catholic astronaut possessed of the uncanny powers of an
insect. She's a disco-crazy extravagent safe cracker in the wrong place at the
wrong time. They fight crime!