RFC - a casual sound API on fd.o?

Marc-André Lureau marcandre.lureau at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 11:57:12 PST 2007

On 1/9/07, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:

> Are you proposing an in-process or an out-of-process playback of the sound
> file?

I don't care :) Seriously, this should be an implementation detail and not a
C API problem.

If it's in-process, I think you're going to find it very hard to adapt to
> backends in use and to find themed files. At least, if you plan on
> keeping this library lightweight.

Hmm, I don't know. If I have to write an out-of-process, I will have the
same problem isn't it? This should be implemented somehow, someone as to do
it. Furthermore, once you have implemented it, it seems quite easy to add
transparent out-of-process for the very same API.

If you're going for out-of-process, I suggest you simply define a D-Bus
> interface class, service name as well as the documentation for it. This
> should be enough. Your library would simply wrap those D-Bus calls and
> signals for applications not using a high-level D-Bus binding.

I should definetly provide a DBus API that can complement with API. But I
was more interested by an in-process implementation first.

Thanks for your comments,

I know it's a tough issue and that kde guys have probably other better plan
than those very limited for libgnome-sound... But any comment is very
pleased,

Best regards,

--
Marc-André Lureau, GSmartMix