A Standard for Thumbnailers

Benedikt Meurer benny at xfce.org
Tue Jan 9 13:26:21 PST 2007

Erlend Davidson wrote:
>> Nautilus thumbnailing appears to be quite slow, compared to
>> thumbnailing of pictures in windows.
>>
>> Wouldn't it peform better if thumbnailing didn't require to launch a
>> program for each single image (using something similar to what fcgi
>> does for web pages or something ?)
> 2.4GHz P4... 7 seconds in Thunar to thumbnail 42 jpgs.  Total filesize
> around 40MB.
>
> Can someone do a similar test on Windows?

Windows Explorer was noticeably faster than Thunar and Nautilus. I've
tested that some time ago with a large image folder (don't remember the
numbers).

But this is definitely not a problem with launching a separate
application, since both Thunar and Nautilus handle JPEG thumbnailing
internally. Maybe it's libjpeg being slower than the Windows equivalent.
Maybe the I/O throughput on Windows is better. Maybe the FAT subsystem
on Windows is generally faster than on FreeBSD/Linux. Dunno.

Benedikt