RFC - a casual sound API on fd.o?

Marc-André Lureau marcandre.lureau at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 06:48:19 PST 2007

On 1/9/07, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:

> An out-of-process implementation of a few D-Bus API calls would be almost
> trivial to implement in a running daemon that desktop environments
> already provide. They already have theming capabilities -- or will
> have -- and already have all the necessary resources to play sound
> already.

Then, I propose this D-Bus DAPI Sound draft: http://pastebin.ca/311977
It is similar and compatible to the C version.
(and support exported/remote theming, that might be discussed)

And you could add the sound calls to DAPI. No need for an *extra* library
> (each .so is an added cost on program load time). Especially if your
> library would require loading of libogg, libvorbis and libalsa -- that's
> four DSO that would be loaded.

A little bit unrelated questions: is it possible to ask either libtool or
gcc to link staticaly the strimmed  functions if the byte added (or an
amount) is under a certain value.

Suppose we compile a program that use a thin library. And use only a subset
of it. Then, would it be possible to "inline" (include statically) the code
of the library (if the .a is available) ? Of course, we could also provide a
kind of tricky/ugly header to do a real "inline" instead, if we provide such
a header. Hmm... technically, I suppose, this is possible. but technically
does not help us :)

Regards,

--
Marc-André Lureau, GSmartMix