[Wasabi Proposal] XML desktop query language

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 05:49:23 PST 2007

2007/1/15, Fabrice Colin <fabrice.colin at gmail.com>:

> On 1/15/07, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The main part is the xml schema:
> > http://grillbar.org/wasabi/drafts/wasabi-query.xsd . It
> > contains lots of comments. I've set up a wiki page to collect info,
> > feedback, and progress on this here:
> > http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/WasabiQueryLanguage.
> >
> Some comments on first read :
> - I would leave diacritic sensitivity out

Yes. That is a very technical thing and it might fit into an "Extended"
version of language, or just be optional and ignored if not supported. On
the other hand spotlight has this so must have it too :-D

- not sure whether an integer "boost" is that useful

Boost is defined as a float in the schema.

- selectionTypes has only "and" and "or". What about phrase searches ?

<equals>
  <property name="dc:title"/>
  <string>hello world</string>
</equals>

was intended to match the phrase "hello world". If you wanted to match
"hello" or "world" you would have to explicitly OR them.

If this is a bad idea we could either add a simpleType element called
"phrase", or have an attribute indicating that the string should be matched
as a phrase (fx <equals match="phrase"> or <equals phrase="true">)...

Cheers,
Mikkel