[Wasabi Proposal] XML desktop query language

Jean-Francois Dockes jean-francois.dockes at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jan 15 23:27:00 PST 2007

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen writes:
 > I uploaded my first draft of a XML query language proposal for the Wasabi
 > desktop search spec.
 > [skip]
 > Feedback urgently needed. Cheers,

I have to admit that the example requests make more sense for me than the
xsd file :)

 - Is the distance query limited to 2 terms ? This seems a bit harsh. It
   also makes sense to have both phrase and distance matches with a "slack"
   parameter (allowed number of non-matched words), differing only in that
   "phrase" is ordered. (Ref: [XAPIAN])

 - About distance also, you may want to say things like:
	 (caudal or dorsal) prox vertebra
   I am not sure that this is allowed by the current
   definition. (Ref: [CQL]).

You may find these kinds of queries unlikely but we might regret later to
have too many restrictions embedded in the structure of the query
definition syntax. A Recoll user asked quite urgently for the first
feature, and the second, apart from being not totally farfetched by itself
becomes very natural if a thesaurus is used on the client side.

 - You wrote somewhere that "fuzzy" was "try harder than stemming", so I
   guess stemming is on by default. There should be a way to control
   stemming and force an exact match (ie: for proper nouns).
   No matches for browning or browne when looking for a Mr Brown. But maybe
   it's in there and I did not see it.

Regards,
J.F. Dockes

Refs: