[Wasabi Proposal] XML desktop query language

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 00:49:36 PST 2007

2007/1/17, Fabrice Colin <fabrice.colin at gmail.com>:

> On 1/17/07, Jean-Francois Dockes <jean-francois.dockes at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> > Jos van den Oever writes:
> >  > I get  the feeling that this is a point on which people will always
> >  > disagree, so I'll just say that my experience is difference. If I
> want
> >  > to look for both 'example' and 'examples', I use example*. You're
> >  > right that since some time Google has enabled stemming, so I have to
> >  > use '+example' quite often when I want to search. So we could vote on
> >  > having it on per default or not.
> >
> > Ok, and I see that after checking, and to my surprise, neither Apple
> > Kit nor MSN Search seem to use stemming, so I guess that we either need
> an
> > interface to let the user set this kind of preference, or let the
> > backend use its own default.
> >
> I would prefer this to be back-end specific. For stemming to be useful,
> you need
> to know what the language of the query is. Another can of worms...

Right. Let's not get lost over stemming issues since it is not a huge deal
(i'm not saying it is not important).

Can we agree on the following: Stemming will be assumed to be on, but it is
not catastrophic if an engine just don't do stemming at all. Engines can
provide an extension to explicitly turn stemming off. In other words - keep
things as they are (regarding stemming).

Cheers,
Mikkel