[Wasabi Proposal] XML desktop query language

Jean-Francois Dockes jean-francois.dockes at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jan 17 06:42:30 PST 2007

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen writes:
 > 2007/1/17, Jean-Francois Dockes <jean-francois.dockes at wanadoo.fr>:
 > > The user-level language needs to have a way to force stemming off.
 >
 > I still think it should be an optional thing - as it is now. The language
 > supports stemming control, but it is not required. As discussed a bit
 > earlier such extended features should probably be introspectable with a a
 > getExtendedFeatures() method (both in simple and live api).

Not sure we understand each other here. I was referring to the simple
search language from http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/WasabiDraft, and I
meant that there should be a way for the user to express her wish for an
exact match, with no transformation of the search term. The backend will
then do its best. I don't see how the *language* feature could be optional,
not having it would unnecessarily cripple the capabilities of engines which
can switch stemming on or off. Maybe we could simply say that terms
enclosed in double-quotes are not to be stemmed if possible ?

 > Do we all agree that we need to define a user level language as well? +1
 > from me at least.

Yes for me too.

 > > I would be much in favour of using the raw user entry here.
 >
 > I would be much in favor of allowing userQuery elements embedded in the xml.
 > It does introduce a bit of extra coding work for servers...

I think that I'd prefer to keep xml out of the simple API, but I could also
work with your approach.

jf