xdg-utils xdg-icon-resource's destination icon name

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Wed Jan 17 14:45:18 PST 2007

Exsiting Gnome implementations require the icon to be named either
video-ogg.png or (some older versions) gnome-mime-video-ogg.png

Existing KDE implementations allow an icon name to be anything but it
must be specified in the mimetype description file (those of the
.desktop kind)

Since xdg-icon-resource needs to work with all of these environments it
installs it as video-ogg.png with a link to gnome-mime-video-ogg.png to
make it work on older gnome versions, and it registers the video-ogg.png
name in the KDE .desktop file that describes the mimetype to make it
work with KDE.

Cheers,
Waldo

Intel Corporation - Platform Software Engineering, UMG - Hillsboro,
Oregon

That
>is undesirable to me. Documentation says nothing about behavior like
this,
>leaving developers reading through the scripts to figure out if the
scripts
>are doing what is expected (if what is expected is understood at all).
So,