Simple search API proposal, take 2

Magnus Bergman magnus.bergman at observer.net
Thu Jan 18 07:30:05 PST 2007

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 11:48:26 +0100
"Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen" <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com> wrote:

> One drawback of the current api proposal as found on
> http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/WasabiSearchSimple is that you
> request the hit properties you want when you retrieve them - not when
> you start the query. If you specified what properties you want already
> in the Query method the search engine could start retrieving these
> properties before you call GetHitProperties.
>
> Unfortunately this doesn't work well with requesting snippets in a
> separate GetHitProperties call.
>
> The only solution I see to this is to add a separate GetSnippets
> method and move requested properties into the Query method. This would
> give an api like:

I have thought a bit about this and I wonder, what is the actual
use-case when getting snippets separately is important? In the simple
use-cases I can think of you either display the snippets together with
the other properties or you don't display them at all. So if you want to
show just a few snippets to begin with, you probably just want to get
the properties for those few items also. Or am I wrong?