Patch: additionnal categories for menu-spec

Frederic Crozat fcrozat at mandriva.com
Mon Jan 22 01:42:16 PST 2007

Le vendredi 19 janvier 2007 à 13:28 -0800, Brian J. Tarricone a écrit :
> Octavio Alvarez wrote:
> > On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 11:03:17 -0800, Bastian, Waldo
> > <waldo.bastian at intel.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks, looks ok with me.
> >>
> >> I will include these changes in the menu spec by the end of next week,
> >> please raise any concerns, comments or objections well before that time.

> > According to this, should X-Chat and Ekiga be put in Chat and
> > TelephonyTools, respectively or under "Internet"?
>
> For the purposes of the .desktop file, they should be put in both
> categories.  For implementations creating a hierarchical menu, or
> categorised application browser (for example), it's up to the app to
> decide if it wants to put them in the more specific 'Chat' and
> 'TelephonyTools' categories, or just show them both in the more general
> 'Internet' category.

I must confess I've never been happy with the first "Telephony"
category. It is too broad itself but description say "Telephony via PC".
It should have been VoIP instead. But since it is out there, we can't
change it now :(

But Brian is explaining the purpose of menu categories right. We
(Mandriva) have two different menu layouts (one for beginners and one
for advanced one) and thanks to menu spec and categories, we can change
layout without modifying .desktop files.

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat at mandriva.com>
Mandriva