Scanner infrastructure in freedesktop

Donald Straney burntfuse at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 11:27:19 PST 2007

> You missed something. SANE is primarily a set of drivers in a library,
> implemented, on top of libusb and other library for direct access on
> device on various OSes. The first problem is that it reinvent the probe
> system instead of using native host OS one. a device name is usualy of
> the form "<backend>:<resource>" e.g. "plustek:libusb:002:001" or
> "v4l:/dev/video0". We need to add support to passing UDI to sane_open ()
> before.

Right, slight misunderstanding there.  What I meant is that the dbus
interface could pass back something that Gstreamer could use as an
input (with the appropriate plugin), like a local socket, instead of
coming up with a new way to retrieve images and then have the program
using the dbus interface "translate" it and feed it into Gstreamer.

Is UDI what HAL uses to identify devices?

> Do you mean writing a gstreamer src plugin that use SANE to acquire
> data ?

Exactly.  That way, it can be passed through image filters the way you
said someone was doing it for OCR, or it can be just saved directly to
a file.  Altogether, it should make it a lot more flexible.

> I really want to see KDE people talking with us. This is why i bring up
> this subject here ! What about XFCE people (they've just release 4.4)

I know, it would be nice if other people would join in here and clear
up some of the technical details or give suggestions.

Donald Straney