VIO - Visual IO Agents

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Jan 24 11:39:57 PST 2007

nf2 wrote:
> Donald Straney wrote:
> I think a GUI for handlers would definitely help the user. For instance
> i do a lot of PHP programming directly on the webserver. For editing i
> use JEdit (because it works transparently over FTP). For copying files i
> use Nautilus. The problem is that it's intransparent when my desktop is
> connected to the FTP server. So i get annoying connection errors,
> because the FTP-server only allowes a certain number of concurrent
> connections. If the protocol handler had a GUI i could monitor
> connections and disconnect with a mouseclick.

That sounds like an "unbreak my software" GUI.  The real solution is to
fix the VFS layer to be better about a) caching and reusing connections
so as not to create an unnecessary number of them, b) handling errors
like that internally without bothering the user by disconnecting unused
connections or reusing an existing one, and c) being smarter about
knowing when a connection is really not being used and disconnecting it.

I have to say I agree with the other posters: most of this belongs much
lower than user application level.

	-brian