[Wasabi Proposal] Live search API

Magnus Bergman magnus.bergman at observer.net
Thu Jan 25 05:55:09 PST 2007

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 09:44:53 +0100
"Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen" <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2007/1/24, Magnus Bergman <magnus.bergman at observer.net>:
> >
> > On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 01:41:47 +0100
> > "Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen" <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Here's an actual proposal for unifying the simple and live apis.
> > > I'm not saying that we really really should do this, just that it
> > > is doable, and it still allows for quite simple use cases (see
> > > below). It is actually very much in spirit with Magnus' very
> > > first proposal a while back. Praise late insight :-)
> > >
> > > == Unified API Proposal ==
> > >
> > > NewSession (out s session)
> > >  *
> > >
> > > SetProperty (in s session, in s prop, in s val)
> > >  * Set a property on the session. Prominent ones are
> > >    - live : whether or not to be in live mode. Default false.
> > >    - hit.properties : semi colon separated list of field names.
> > > Default "uri".
> >
> > Does the (potentially) expensive properties need to be included in
> > hit.properties, or are they considered special?
>

> In the updated proposal the expensive properties are requested via the
> GetHitData method. Here you don't have to list the desired properties
> in hit.properties.

OK. You mentioned cases there it can be relevant for the search engine
to know which hit properties will be requested before the search starts
(which is the reason why they are set with hit.properties). Isn't it
possible that the same goes for the expensive properties (that less
resources could be used it was known in advance that the expensive
property would never be requested)? (Not that I care much of this
detail, I just thought I should mention in.)

> > > GetProperty (in s session, in s prop)
> > >  *
> > >
> > > CloseSession (in s session)
> > >  * Close the session and all child searches
> > >
> > > Search (in s session, in s query_xml, out s search)
> > >  * Start a new search from a query
> > >
> > > CountHits (in s search, out i count)
> > >  * Returns the current number of found hits. If live=false this
> > > call blocks until the index has been fully searched.
> > >
> > > GetHits (in s search, in i num, out aav hits)
> > >  * Return num hits. If live=false this call blocks until there is
> > > num hits available or the index has been fully searched.
> > >    The client should keep track of each hit's serial number if it
> > > want to use GetHitData later.
> > >
> > > GetHitData (in s search, in ai hit_ids, in as properties, out aav
> > > hit_data)
> > >  * Get hit metadata. Intended for snippets or modified hits.
> > > hit_ids are serial numbers as obtained from GetHits.
> >
> > The GetHits/GetsHitsData functions was a quite elegant solution, I
> > must say. But one thing isn't clear to me. Can any property be
> > requested with GetHitsData (restarting the search if needed)? Or
> > just those that are included in hit.properties? Or perhaps those
> > that are either expensive *or* included in hit.properties?
>

> Any property can be requested via GetHitData. That was the idea at
> least. I documented this on
> http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/WasabiSearchLive now.
>
> Perhaps the "current hit_id" (the implicit offset used in GetHits)
> could
> > be a property of the search?
>

> Well, then the Search object/handle would need properties anyway.
> Would it not be easier to put such counting functionality in a
> language/platform binding? It can easily be calculated by the client
> anyway.

Yes, this is also just a small detail. If it's considered needed it can
easily be added later anyway.

> > > CloseSearch (in s search)
> > >  * Close and free a search.
> > >
> > > SIGNAL HitsAdded (in i count)
> > > SIGNAL HitsRemoved (in ai hit_ids)
> > > SIGNAL HitsModified (in ai hit_ids)
> >
> > All in all I'm very happy with this proposal.
> >

> Ok, good. I updated the live proposal with most of your feedback.

Another thing I thought of: The search function of the simple API
(possibly) took a "simple end user QL" string instead of XML. Has this
idea been dropped or just forgotten? Personally I'm in favor of
dropping it and create XML from "simple end user QL" on the client
side, possibly using a library.