VIO - Visual IO Agents

Lennon Cook maguswizardo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 04:00:06 PST 2007

nf2 <nf2 at scheinwelt.at> wrote:
> The second part of the problem - i think - is the lack of
> user-interface and "controlability" in an completely transparent vfs.
> There is no smart way of knowing for how long an FTP server should
> stay connected. It's also impossible to say when an archive that has
> been opened for writing should be repacked and stored.
Easy. Mimic the lower level, and keep reference counts. Allow the
archives and the ftp:// URIs to be passed to something mimicking
open(3p)/opendir(3p), do everything necessary to make them available,
increment the refcount. Decrement it on calls mimicking
close(3p)/closedir(3p), or on noticing that a client app dies.

Having GUIs at something this low-level is probably a bad idea. For
one, you risk designing an interface that isn't sane everywhere
(choices of toolkit and HIG, for example), which can't claim to be any
more desktop neutral than what we have now. And why shouldn't the
CLI users benefit from this? Just because we might think they're insane
isn't a reason to ignore them, or there wouldn't be KDE and Gnome
people on this list talking to each other.

--
Lennon Victor Cook
"He who receives an idea from me receives without lessening, as he who