Scanner infrastructure in freedesktop

Donald Straney burntfuse at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 05:42:49 PST 2007

Just to let you know I haven't forgotten about this: I've been working
on that proof-of-concept daemon, and right now it can take a dbus
method call and return a list of device names from SANE.  Once it can
do a bit more, I'll post the source here.

I had another idea for feeding the image back to the calling program
after looking through the SANE docs.  A file descriptor might be the
best way, since it can just be passed back as an int (no problems like
there would be with passing addresses and it's more direct than a
filename), and that way it gets buffered in the kernel, with the image
capture daemon adding to it and the client reading it as fast or as
slow as it wants, with all the standard open/read/write/close calls.
Even better, since it's much faster than saving it to a file first and
more flexible, it could be probably be used for video capture too
instead of coming up with a different method of returning a video
stream.

Donald Straney